Developing diverse knowledge about other populations helps improve cultural competency. This competency can be developed through independent reading, attendance at relevant seminars, or supervision from professionals in the field with appropriate backgrounds. Cultural competency is important to the assessment process.
Review the American Counseling Association (ACA) Code of Ethics at the following:
- American Counseling Association. (2005).Â ACA code of ethics.Â Retrieved fromÂ http://www.counseling.org/Resources/aca-code-of-ethics.pdf
Respond to the following:
- How would you define cultural competency?
- Why is cultural competency important for substance abuse counselors?
- How would you acquire this skill?
- Which ACA ethics codes discuss cultural competency, and what measures should counselors take to prevent ethical code violations in these areas?
Support your responses using your module readings and authoritative resources. Incorporate theory and factual information in your response.
Write your initial response in 2â€“3 paragraphs. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
- 08/12/2015 DUE DATE
Working with Diverse Populations
Working with special populations in any field can present challenges that require special competencies. This is particularly true in the substance abuse field. There are many cultural factors that contribute to substance abuse and influence assessment and treatment approaches. In addition, specific demographic factors such as age, socioeconomic status, family composition, and parenting styles can influence the development of these disorders and have to be addressed in the assessment and treatment plan. The success or failure of treatment can be directly related to the accommodation of these factors.
Use the module readings and the Argosy University online library resources to research cultural competency.
Review the following list and selectÂ oneÂ population group for use in this assignment:
- Deaf and hard of hearing
- Native Americans and Alaskan Natives
- Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders
- Spanish Americans
- Persons with disabilities
- Children and adolescents
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered (GLBT)
Respond to the following in a PowerPoint presentation:
- Explain how you would work with that population with cultural competency. Specifically address substance abuse.
- Describe the particular issues that might arise when working with a client from your selected special population.
Include detailed speakerâ€™s notes and one slide with references.
Develop a 6â€“8-slide presentation in PowerPoint format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: