Why It Is Important to Have a Code of Conduct
In our business lives, we are faced with challenges and compromises to our ethical foundations, and sometimes we are caught in a conundrum. Organizations that develop and utilize a “code of ethics” or a “code of conduct” can assist employees in understanding what they should or should not do when they are caught in a potential compromising position. If properly advocated and modeled by leadership, the code of ethics or a code of conduct can make decision making more streamlined and a much less stressful process. Some of the areas where they can assist in decision making with legal and ethical issues are:
- Social Media
- Identity Theft
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Workplace Privacy
- Software Piracy
- Patent/Copyright Protection
- Patent/Copyright Infringement
- Employee Computer Use
- For this week’s Shared Practice Discussion, you will begin by carefully reading the weekly article readings from Brooks (2010), De George (2000), and Mingers & Walsham (2010).
Once you have completed your reading, search forÂ at least two examplesÂ of code of conduct/ethics policies from a publically traded company. You may want to look at several such policies to get a broad sense of what they cover.
ByÂ Day 5:
Post the following:
- Share your assessment of the importance of utilizing a code of ethics to direct solid business decision making when managing business information and information systems.
- Provide 2 or 3 examples of code of conduct/ethics policies related to the use and management of information and information systems.
- Summarize your observations about the code of conduct/ethics you reviewed and the major themes you found in your search of these important policy statements as they pertain to the use and management of information and information systems.
- Describe how you, as a manager, will ensure that your conduct and the conduct of your employees as it pertains to the use of data, information, and information systems/technology aligns with the ethical standards of the organization and the applicable regulations that must be followed. What specific steps can you take, and how will you serve as a role model?