Future Trends and Topics of Interest in Human Resources Management
Human resources management is a continuously evolving field that is filled with many grey areas. Successful health care managers understand the need to stay abreast of current and future developments that affect the workforce and human resource practices.
In preparation for this Discussion, think about specific issues you have learned about in this course that you would like to explore further, as well as other topics (not yet covered) that you are curious about or would like to investigate. The following questions may help you to brainstorm areas of interest related to the health care workforce and human resources management:
- How might demographic changes and other shifts related to diversity influence the workforce and patient populations in the future? What opportunities and challengs are likely to arise because of this? What types of recruitment efforts and training might help to maximize these opportunities and address potential challenges?
- How will developments in information technology impact human resources management in health care organizations of the future?
- What controversies related to the globalization of health care do you think warrant immediate attention? What can be done to address them?
- How does the economic climate affect human resources management? What information about local, national, and global economic situations do you think is most important for health care managers to consider?
- How does/will payment reform affect compensation for physicians and others? Why is this important?
- How might the increased demand for quality (coupled with limited resources) in health care influence human resources management?
- What are the most recent developments in health care reform? How are they likely to affect the health care workforce and human resources management?
- What current and future trends related to employee benefits do you find particularly significant?
- How will mergers and acquisitions in health care shape human resources managers? What can individuals working in health care do to prepare themselves for challenges that are likely to arise?
- How do you think employee wellness programs will evolve in the future? Why are they important in today’s health care environment?
- What can be learned from experiences with recent disasters or major health problems? Consider specific events or health problems that you think are particularly significant. How might this influence health care HR management in the future?
Identify an issue that you would like to examine for this Discussion, and research it using credible Web sites. Analyze the implications related to this issue for the health care workforce and/or strategic human resources management in health care settings.
Post by Day 4 a response to the following:
- Identify the future trend or issue you have selected in the first line of your posting.
- Summarize significant research related to this future trend or issue.
- Analyze implications for the health care workforce and strategic human resources management in health care organizations, citing at least two resources to support your analysis.